Wednesday 24 July 2013

One Fine Day



Have you ever noticed how in American movies the successful female professional walks down the avenue with a paper cup of coffee in one hand and a cellphone to her ear giving directions of utmost importance to some unknown person, presumably a secretary or a junior at work? The woman usually is in sharp focus, her hair bobs up and down, and she is the only one in the crowd of Hollywood corporates behind her who is wearing a brightly coloured suit. Everyone else hazy in the background wears black.

That woman of the movies is my secret idol – the person I have always wanted to be. Not to do the work she does, but to walk down the road with a coffee in my hand while talking business on the phone. In my dream her exact work has no specifics, it is simply something important. It is important and it is all-consuming. There is no time to stop for a coffee – it must be on the go. It’s an exciting roller coaster of a life, where there is something unknown being achieved. The end is of no importance. All that matters is the process of being glamourously busy and exhilaratingly stressed.

The closest I came to being that busy corporate woman of my dreams was when I started reporting on business and economy. But instead of the busy streets of Manhattan, on most days I found myself walking down the paan spit stained corridors of Shastri Bhawan (a government office). I was not talking to my secretary on the phone, instead I was speaking to some press officer of some minister, with the obligatory towel at the back of his chair. Despite all that, sometimes I wish I could get up in the morning and just leave for work. Let's face it, you get to drink more coffee at work and you get to go to the loo whenever you want! Here is a snapshot of my faux 'businessy' look of yore. 



I once went to London on work. We had a free day in between and I decided, what the heck, nobody knows me here. So, I bought a cup of coffee and stomped down the road with a look of intense purpose. I sipped my coffee and spoke to someone on the phone, all the while looking extremely busy. And then I walked into this building. Did I mention that I was walking down the very touristy Regent Street and the building I entered was Hamleys, the toy store? They could have made a movie about me, I looked like this busy working mother (think Michelle Pfeiffer in One Fine Day) who made sure she had time to pick up that all important birthday gift for her baby.

Today's recipe is for a real life Michelle-Pfeiffer-One-Fine-Day type character who is super busy but still wants to bake something to munch on, because, it is super easy and quick.



Chocolate and Nut Bars (adapted from Joy of Baking)

113 grams butter, at room temperature
105 grams firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
130 grams all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Topping:
180 grams semi sweet chocolate, chopped)
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds or toasted hazelnuts

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C 
Line the bottom and sides of an 8 inch square baking pan with aluminum foil.
In a bowl whisk the flour with the salt.
With a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Beat in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add the flour mixture, mixing only until smooth.
Spread the shortbread evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until the shortbread is golden brown.
Remove from oven and immediately scatter the chocolate chips over the hot shortbread. Return the shortbread to the oven for a minute or just until the chocolate softens. Remove from oven and spread the chocolate evenly with the back of a spoon.
Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the chocolate. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
Once the chocolate has set, lift the shortbread from the pan using the edges of the foil. Place on a cutting board and, with a sharp knife, cut into 16 squares.

It might not be gourmet, but it hits the right spot especially late at night when you raid your fridge, Nigella style.




10 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I love this. But I cannot imagine you "stomping"! Some day I will try to bake - and it will be inspired by you! --Anamika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wearing sneakers with my overcoat while i was stomping! send me pics when you bake ;) and hey such an active blogger you are!!!

      Delete
  2. You are a rage, Smita! Again, I couldn't bother with chocolate and nut bars (what IS semi-sweet chocolate?!) but I love your stories... small and scattered and full of humour. There was definitely something utterly aspirational about Michelle Pfeiffer in One Fine Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loveddddd this post :-) Keep it comin, Smi! And know what... I ve pretended to be very Pfeiffery (from One Fine Day) many-a times as well :P..mayb also cos there was a certain Mr.Clooney possibility hidden somewhere ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. finally says "Sandy" & not "Me"! Phew!

      Delete
    2. heh heh heh...you have that pic of yourself in front of that ferragamo store. But that's very Sarah Jessica Parker ;)

      Delete
  4. hey smita,
    how are you? how did N's b'day party go? what did you bake for her this year? i wanted to ask you a question about this recipe; what is the secret of getting the biscuit base right? i baked this last night and my shortbread is a little too crunchy. maybe i should've baked it less? what should the texture feel like? but at least Z ate it, which is my main mission in baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Seema,

      N's party went of well. It was a very small group and so was highly manageable.

      So about the biscuit base:
      1. important not to over mix once the flour has been added because if you mix it too much it will result in a hard crunchy cookie base.

      2. Make sure the layer of shortbread at the bottom is even and you use the same size pan as in the recipe. Not smaller or bigger, because hat could mean overcooking or undercooking your batter.

      3. Bake till just about browning. the edges should be slightly darker than the middle but on the while a soft golden colour. Do not overcook.

      4. The 20 minutes time is just a general guideline but I go by my sense of smell. if your kitchen is smelling of freshly baked shortbread then it is about cooked. If it isn't then it needs more time. The cookie looks deceptively soft even once it is done. It hardens further after it cools.

      Let me know how it goes the next time!

      Delete
  5. Aha! That makes total sense now. Sense of smell is the best guide for sure. I think I definitely over mixed and I plonked the entire mixture down in one place and then had some trouble spreading it around the baking pan. I made it in a round tin once and it came out much better. I think I'm using the wrong size pan. For a pretty long time, I was actually baking while my scales were not working. I thought they were, but they were giving me the wrong weight. Stuff still turned out edible, but I always had the feeling something just wasn't right. So much to learn! Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete